StoreGrid Forum

Missing deleted files

Vembu StoreGrid: Online backup software for Service Providers, SMBs & ROBOs

Missing deleted files

Postby suredata » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi all,

I'm loathe to raise this here but I think it's required bearing in mind what it is we are selling to out customers, peace of mind and insurance against data storage failure.

Several weeks ago we got an alert (another one, we've raised this in the past) suggesting that a client had flagged a file as deleted but that the server is unable to find the original. Wanting to get to the bottom of this, I raised my concerns with the Vembu support team.

Without dragging this out too much, their response leaves me less than confident.

Here is the abbreviated and paraphrased conversation (via email):

We wrote:Hi, we have an alert trigger nearly 200 times that states the a deleted file cannot be found on the server. This worries us as I assume we cannot restore this deleted file. Is there a verification process to use?

Vembu Support wrote:You can verify this by restoring files, selecting "deleted only" and checking the file.

We wrote:How can we tell which file was deleted as the event message doesn't say?

Vembu Support wrote:We're sorry but it is not possible to know which deleted file is missing but this is happens infrequently. If it starts to occur more often will can insert a debug exe to find out.

We wrote:Let me get this clear:
1. The server doesn’t have a file that client has deleted
2. The client cannot restore this file as it’s not on the server
3. We have no way of knowing which file is missing
4. We have no way to test the completeness and validity of the file storage system
5. We will have to explain to our customers why, when they attempted to restore this deleted file, the file cannot be recovered?

I'm not attempting to undermine the Support guys here but for us this is unacceptable that this occurs. If our customer was to attempt a restore, finds the file(s) cannot be recovered and we cannot help in any way, our credibility would be shot. It's for this reason I've started this thread as Vembu has in the past said that they rank feature requests based on demand, hopeful that others will find the ability to verify the storage system, the intactness of the backups and the validity of the data stored to be of paramount importance to our 'product'.

So please Vembu decision makers, stop adding (great) new features to this product and concentrate and making it bulletproof, accountable and verifiable!
suredata

Re: Missing deleted files

Postby vidhya » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:33 am

Hi suredata,

We have started work on this already. Just like how we currently have the capability to sync up the MySQL DB from the backup data (to reconstruct a corrupted DB), we are working on checking the backup data from what is stored in DB.

We'll keep you posted as we go along. We'll send you a patch over v4.2 once it is ready.

Regards
Vidhya
vidhya

Postby suredata » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks.

By "sync up the db" are you also including the client side db? This is still frustrating that after a DR restore, we have to upload the whole backup again.
suredata

Postby vidhya » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:11 am

Hi,

The Client Backup DB will not be backed up as part of this change. That is also in the roadmap. For now, you can configure an additional backups in the client machines to backup the sgpdp.db files of the other backup schedules.

Vidhya
vidhya

Postby insignia » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:59 am

vidhya wrote:Hi,

The Client Backup DB will not be backed up as part of this change. That is also in the roadmap. For now, you can configure an additional backups in the client machines to backup the sgpdp.db files of the other backup schedules.

Vidhya

This is what we do but certainly please do note that you have to run a batch script to transfer the data from outside of Program Files directory for this to work as SG will not back up anything inside it's own installation directory.
insignia

Postby suredata » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:05 am

While this works, it's a hack and certainly not a solution worthy of an enterprise grade backup system. There are two glowing issues with doing this little 'batch' workaround:

1) It's a manual process to create this for each client (it should be a tick box) or built-in;
2) It's not included in the manual for the DR process. Users still won't know what to do. It should be automatic with a DR.
suredata

Postby insignia » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:33 am

Yes Suredata, you are correct. When I created the new build in the build-o-matic, I selected the option that allows two back up jobs to run. The issue I have now is that I do not know whether the sgrpr.db file is being backed up before or after batch script has run. But I guess that the fact it's being backed up at all is better than nothing.
insignia

Postby vidhya » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:35 am

Hi suredata, insignia,

We'll work on a patch over v4.2 to include the backup of the prp within the backup job itself. We'll send you the patch once it is ready. We don't have a timeline yet.

Vidhya
vidhya

Postby insignia » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:39 am

That will be great Vidhya, thank you.
insignia

Return to StoreGrid Discussions