StoreGrid Forum

Windows AMI EBS volume size

Vembu StoreGrid: Online backup software for Service Providers, SMBs & ROBOs

Windows AMI EBS volume size

Postby Taylex » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm playing with a 4.2 Windows AMI and am wondering if there is a reason why the EBS volume is 80GB.
Was the intention to use the boot volume for the upload cache before sending it to S3 instead of creating an additional volume for that purpose?

If it doesn't need to be that big how about a Windows build with a smaller volume, say 32GB?
Taylex

Re: Windows AMI EBS volume size

Postby vidhya » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:50 am

Hi Taylex,

It is recommended that you keep the 80 GB. EBS is used for MySQL DB for StoreGrid backend. Typically the DB size would be about 1% of the backup data size. The EBS is also used, like you mentioned, to cache the files before sending it to S3.

Vidhya
vidhya

Postby Taylex » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Are you suggesting that when using a Windows instance with the 80GB EBS volume that the second EBS volume (as stated in the instructions) is not needed and the SGCloudConf folder should be created on the primary partition?
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the MySQL data and the cache on a second EBS volume?

Examples:

I start with a 20GB EBS volume for MySQL Data store and the upload cache. I later begin to run out of room so I snapshot the volume and restore it to a newly created larger volume.

I start with an EC2 Micro instance and later decide to upgrade to small, medium, etc. In my mind the second EBS volume would make this easier to do also by simply detaching it and re-attaching it to the new EC2 instance.
Taylex

Postby vidhya » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 am

Hi Taylex,

Sorry, I think I got you confused. The 80GB was set through the scripts that we used to create the base AMI on top of which the release AMIs are built. We'll look into reduce this to say 20GB if possible for future AMIs. This EBS volume is not used by StoreGrid application at all. It basically holds the system files of the OS running on the AMI.

This default EBS that is created when you launch the AMI is not used to store the MySQL and the file cache. The second EBS that you create and attach it is the one where MySQL and file caching are done.

Vidhya
vidhya

Postby vidhya » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 am

Hi Taylex,

Sorry, I think I got you confused. The 80GB was set through the scripts that we used to create the base AMI on top of which the release AMIs are built. We'll look into reduce this to say 20GB if possible for future AMIs. This EBS volume is not used by StoreGrid application at all. It basically holds the system files of the OS running on the AMI.

The second EBS that you create and attach it is the one where MySQL and file caching are done.

Vidhya
vidhya

Postby Taylex » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:01 am

Thank you for the clarification. I realize a shrink from 80 to 20 will only net a savings of 6USD/month for the EBS volume but if it's money I don't need to spend I'd prefer to keep it.
Taylex

Return to StoreGrid Discussions